Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Simplicity...A Visit out on the Prairie

For the past three years, I have read aloud the historical fiction of Laura Ingalls Wilder to Ethan and Evan.  Now it's obviously just Evan and I cuddling up on the couch to see where the covered wagon will take Laura and her family.  This is one of our favorite times of the day.  Evan absolutely loves the stories, and he has gained not only a lot of knowledge of how people lived over 100 years ago.  He is also learning positive character and virtue that is woven throughout each book Mrs. Wilder wrote.

Right now we are reading (we are almost finished) The Long Winter, which happens to be my favorite book thus far in the series!

We had the absolute privilege of taking a road trip up to the Dakotas and back down through Missouri, visiting three of the six Ingalls/Wilder sites!!!

Our first stop was near Independence, Kansas at the Little House on the Prairie Museum.

The book Little House on the Prairie is based upon the Ingalls Family living on this very site (please note the log cabin in the background is a replica), near the Sioux Indians, back in the 1870's.  Admission is free, and while the place is very small, we all enjoyed it!  Much of what seems to be native prairie grass surrounds the premises, and one can get the feel of perhaps what it was like out on that lonely prairie.  There is also a one room schoolhouse and tiny post office on the premises, as well the original hand dug well (that Pa dug).  To my surprise, inside an old farmhouse is a beautiful and well stocked souvenir shop!  Great prices and a great variety of all things Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Next time I will write about stop number two...De Smet, SD!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be so amazing! I was given those books as a gift and have yet to finish them. Perhaps it's time! Can't wait to see your other stops!

Shannon Wallace said...

Hi Carin! Yes, it was amazing! We enjoyed our adventure. :) I will hopefully be posting more soon. You must read the books! They are SOOO good and so easy to read. It will make you more appreciative of what God has given you...at least it has for me. :)

Tammy said...

How fun! We live about an hour or so away from De Smet :) Can't wait to read about your trip there, and the other one you went to!

Shannon Wallace said...

Hi Tammy!! That's right, your family moved from Canada to SD some time ago. How neat!! We just loved SD when we were there.

Amy said...

Hi Shannon!

You were on my heart, so I thought I'd "swing" by and let you know that I am thinking of and praying for you all! :) I owe you an email still from a LONG time ago! Happy thoughts to you all! :) -- amy :)

Anonymous said...

We just started the Little House series yesterday with Amber and Juliet. I thought of you the whole time, and had to come tell you. :)

Bethany LaShell said...

How totally fun to take a Laura Ingalls Wilder road trip! I would love to do that.

Just stopping by to say thanks for commenting on my book review today :-). Many blessings to you and yours.