Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fear

I think fear is something that most of us have or do struggle with on a pretty regular basis.  Especially if we have survived a very traumatic experience, or have faced health issues, etc.  But do we talk about it?  I don't think a lot of us do.  In our society, I believe people who are perceived as weak are looked down upon, therefore, we don't express fear.  Even more sad, I think there is this perception that Christians are supposed to always "have it together," and therefore, we don't express how we really feel because that would make us look not as Christ-like.  But is that true?  No.  We are only human, and we are, whether we like it or not, going to have fear at several points in our life.  It's what we do with that fear that will be life-changing not only for us, but for our families and our friends. 

This morning, as I struggled with my fears, I picked up my copy of Max Lucado's devotional Fear Not.  I purchased this little gem back in June of 2010, when we were in San Antonio saying our final goodbye on earth to Ethan.  Though I don't read through it much, I feel God leading me to open up not only this book, but His Word more often.  How many times do I sit and worry about the what-ifs when those really don't ever come to fruition?  Jesus said in Matthew 6:27--Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?  In today's verbiage, Jesus was basically say who can grow or add to your life by being worried?  Powerful.  I've never gained anything by worry except for an ulcer. 

It's funny, and yet it's SO what my friends and I call "A God Thing," that Josh and Evan and I revisited a church this past Sunday that we are interested in making our church home.  And what was that sermon on?  Matthew 6:25-34.  Just in case you don't have your Bible available, or you don't read the Bible, those passages are about not having fear and trusting Him to provide.  Oh how God knew I needed to hear that sermon! 

I will close this post with one of the devotionals from Max's book I mentioned earlier in the post.  Here we go:

Are you tied up in knots?  Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7 NIV)  Strong verb there.  Cast.  Not place, lay, or occasionally offer... Max goes on to write:  Do the same with your fears.  Get serious with them.  Immediately cast them upon God.

Worry is an option, not an assignment.  God can lead you into a worry-free world.  Be quick to pray.  Focus less on the problems ahead and more on the victories behind.  Do your part, and God will do his.  He will guard your heart with his peace...a peace that surpasses understanding.
(From Max Lucado's Fear Not for I am with You Always Promise Book, copyright 2009)

As I sit her writing, Evan asks what I am writing about, and when I said fear and Jesus, he told me I need to write the following scripture:  God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid;  He gives us a spirit of power, and love, and self-control.  II Timothy 1:7 

Perhaps I should not only listen to God, but also my son?  Have a blessed day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen that book out here in Vegas but then again I don't ever get to the christian book stores. For me fear turns into anxiety and suffering anxiety attacks, as I walk with God and learn more about him and his Word, the less anxious I feel. I do have times where anxiety gets the better of me but I have gone from panic attacks up to 3 or more times a day to one every other month! How wonderful is our God?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

These word are inspiring. I like where he says worry is an option not an assignment! I love that God took you back to that church. You know He was invovled with that?

Amy said...

God knows his creation, for sure. Isn't it interesting when one is being addressed in the Bible by angels -- most likely, the first thing they're being told is, "Fear Not."? :) Sometimes a moment-by-moment task for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Love it, Shannon. Fear threatens to grip my heart sometimes lately. I feel trapped which scares me. But Gid always has something for us to learn in very situation and is never caught off guard with His plan. I need to remember that. Thank you!