Friday, November 30, 2012

Happy 10th Birthday, Ethan!!!!

Ethan Joshua Wallace
Born:  November 29, 2002
0630 @ Lackland AFB, TX
weighing 7 lbs. 4 0z. & 21 in. long

Releasing Ethan's Birthday balloons at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.


Yesterday was not as painful as I thought it would be.  We went to Ethan's grave and decorated, sang Happy Birthday, and released 10 orange balloons.  This is our tradition...the balloon releasing and being at his grave.  Then we partake in a dessert of some sort, watch the floating balloons, and then leave to go do something else as a family.

This is our the third birthday without Ethan.  If I've learned anything about anniversaries and birthdays, it's this:  DO NOT SIT AT HOME AND DO NOTHING!  Being out and about and having a plan on the anniversary of his passing and his birthday make it so much better.  

I actually felt happy yesterday.  And then I felt guilty for that.  My human brain and mommy heart thinks I shouldn't be happy on a day when my child should be here, and we should be celebrating another year with gifts, cake, and a fun outting.  But what I have learned is I can feel happy.  It's okay to be happy even though he is no longer with us to celebrate these important days.  

The prayers said by many, many friends and family certainly helped to ease our pain and, instead, leave us with a warmth of peace like no other that comes only from Jesus!

Happy Birthday, Ethan!!!  You are missed and loved by so many, but especially Mommy, Daddy and your best friend Evan. :)  Love you so much!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Evan! Praying for you and your family Shannon. I hope you are doing well it must be so difficult to face his birthday.

Hillary said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! You are so loved and missed!

xoxox

Jennifer said...

Praying for you! Birthdays and Holidays are tough, but God is wonderful. It looks like you celebrated Ethan's birthday in an awesome way!

Pamela said...

Always hard. I've celebrated 27 (in November, too) and for me it's the anticipation that's hardest. Sure know what you mean about the grief. I love your tradition of releasing balloons.

True Texan said...

Love you Shannon! Lifting you up during these holidays and other tough days...Hopefully you might make the park next week and hopefully the weather will cooperate!