Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gilcrease Orchard Nature Study


The boys and I headed off this morning with plans to visit the Gilcrease Orchard here in Las Vegas. We were going with the intentions of observing pumpkin plants and sketching them. However, this year they have fenced off the pumpkin area (it wasn't accessible whatsoever) due to vandalism and such. However, we were blessed to find zucchini squash!! Zucchini and pumpkin are from the gourd family, so upon a quick glance, the two can be mistaken. Ethan and Evan were satisfied with their discovery of the zucchini, and it led to a teaching opportunity. Ethan sketched his first sketch in his nature journal--of this very squash blossom. Both Ethan and Evan picked their first zucchini! Momma loves zucchini!




We also discovered many beautiful okra plants! I didn't remember what an okra plant looked like (it's been over 20 years since I lived on a farm), and much to my surprise, it's a beautiful plant with gorgeous off-white blossoms with a violet center! We of course had to pick some okra too. We went on to pick some tiny tomatoes, apples, and dissect Indian Corn (Maize) plants.




I believe that Miss Charlotte Mason (please do a google on her, and I'll write more on her later) was an intelligent lady who really knew the heart of a child. I thank God for her writings and inspirations on education. Miss Mason's thoughts on Nature Walks and Journals are, in my opinion, the best way to teach a child about science and the world around him.













1 comment:

Gingerbread Mommy said...

Looks like homeschooling and blogging are going great for you so far! I enjoyed reading your thoughts here... and love the photos! Oh, and thanks for the follow!
Carrie @ http://gingerbreadmommy.blogspot.com