Friday, December 31, 2010

A Year to Remember

As most others make resolutions for 2011, and plan ways to "ring in the new year," I am not making resolutions, nor am I celebrating 2011.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be alive and see another year, but I'm not ready to say a final goodbye to 2010.  Most would think that given this very difficult year, I would be ready to say a big SEE YA!  I'm not ready to say farewell.  This is the last year we had with Ethan.  He was with us the first five months of this year, and we've grieved losing him ever since.  I suppose in a sense, I'm just not ready to move on, and that's okay.  It's only been less than seven months since Ethan passing, and that's still (in my mind) just as if it happened yesterday.  I don't see or believe in any way that switching to a 2011 calendar is going to heal us overnight, or make it any easier.  I'm not a pessimist by nature, and I'm not trying to be pessimistic--but I'm being REALISTIC.  Our reality is that this grief journey is long.  But it's what's necessary, and God understands.  After all, He created us, and He knows us intimately.

I suppose rather than resolutions I have some wishes.  One huge wish is that more people would come to know Christ, and make Him front and center (numero uno) in their lives!  Another wish is that we would all take baby steps as a nation, to be less self-centered and more focused on others and their needs.  Myself included in this--we are such a privileged yet overly entertained, overly materialistic society.  I just wish we could each make some sacrifices to help out others who need a meal, some clothes, love, a home, etc. 

While I do wish you all the very best of blessings and a happy 2011, I urge you all to cling to God's word.  Without Him, I have no clue where my family and I would be in this difficult time.  Are you unsure where to begin?  If you've never read the Bible, it may be difficult to just jump right in and read.  I really encourage you to find a good, Bible-based church.  Perhaps join a Bible study group.  You can also shoot me an email or call...I'd love to chat about God (though I am by no means a theology major, nor do I have all or half the answers), and encourage you along the way.

In memory of Ethan, let us not forget Proverbs 3:5-6, and The Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12). 

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.  Proverbs 3:5-6

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Matthew 7:12

**When writing this post, I was thinking of the picture taken of Ethan holding the sign Josh made. :o)

1 comment:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

i felt the same loss with the rolling in of the new year. i still can't say 2008 was a bad year... we had so many amazing memories and time together for almost 9 months and i am grateful!

i love those verses. and that picture of ethan is ADORABLE!!! what a cutie!